Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

October 2, 2009

Chief Red Cloud to Obama: Black Hills are not for sale

Chief Oliver Red Cloud, Lakota, issued a statement to President Obama requesting a meeting more than two weeks ago and is yet to receive a response. Chief Red Cloud, 90, told Obama the Black Hills are not -- and have never been -- for sale

September 13, 2009
The Honorable Barack H. Obama
President of the United States of America
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500


Dear Mr. President:

I am the Itancan (chief) of the Oglala Lakota Band of the Great Sioux Nation and Chairman of the Black Hills Sioux Nation Treaty Council, the traditional governing body of the eight bands of the Lakota Nation.

The Lakota Nation entered into and has always abided by the provisions of the Fort Laramie Treaties of 1851 and 1868. However, the United States of America has repeatedly violated and unilaterally attempted to abrogate the Treaties in violation of accepted international standards and codified international treaty law.

The Black Hills Sioux Nation Treaty Council, acting under the guidelines of Article XI of the U.S. Constitution, reaffirms its declaration of inherent authority as a separate and distinct entity from the 1934 Indian Reorganization Act Government of the Bureau of Indian Affairs in the Interior Department of the United States Government. The Black Hills Sioux Nation Treaty Council is committed to upholding the 1851 and 1868 Ft. Laramie Treaties and will employ its' inherent authority to decision making and leadership to protect the integrity of, and our rights in these treaties.

The I.R.A. Government acts as an extension of the United States and carries out its orders.
Your office has sent a mandate to Lakota Bands to initiate a dialogue concerning the Black Hills Land Claim Settlement. How can the United States Government negotiate with I.R.A. Governments, which is an extension of itself?

It is necessary to issue this statement due to current discussions between I.R.A. Tribal Presidents, regarding the United States Governments' Supreme Court action to award monies for the illegal taking of the 1851 and 1868 Ft. Laramie Treaty Territory and other Treaty violations.

We forever oppose the acceptance of any money for our sacred lands.

We recently met with U.S. Senator John Thune's staff to discuss our frustration with the I.R.A. Governments blatant disregard for our inherent authority over treaty issues.

I am 90 years old now. I have spent the better part of my adult life fighting for the return of our sacred He Sapa (Black Hills). I want to create something better for the next seven generations.
I would like to meet with you as soon as possible to address our concerns. Please have your staff contact my administrative assistant, Natalie Hand at (605) 867-5762 (605) 867-5762 , for scheduling.

Sincerely,
_____________________________________________
Chief Oliver Red Cloud
/nnh
Cc: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
U.S. Senator John Thune
U.S. Senator Tim Johnson
U.S. Congresswoman Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin
U.S. Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending love and blessings to the harmonious resolution for all peoples of our mother earth

Zed said...

My humble respect to the Lakota Nation and their leaders.

Fight against the invader!!!

Anonymous said...

I gladly will join your fight. The government MUST I say MUST stop this evil madness. It is time to STAND AND FIGHT. Tell me what I need to do to help. Angela Faith Hodge Native American by blood that was shed helplessly.

Unknown said...

Cheif Red Cloud and the Peoples of the Lakota Nation...yes, the Black Hills are Sacred and the Peoples of all Native Nations in the Americas understand that and stand by You, the Caretakers...It truly is incredible that the Colonial Government is still persuing this issue after a couple of hundred years and lacks all understanding of the word and reality "Sacred"...

Sante Wanbli Wyian said...

I got chills reading this letter. If the lands are returned to our Tribe, I am moving back to South Dakota.


Oglala Lakota Oyate! :)

Mina said...

I totally admire this!!! I'm not from that part of the world but I'm concerned about all this things!

Unknown said...

I support Chief Red Cloud and the Sioux Nation as they stand against the violations made by the US government. As an advocate and supporter of President Obama, I implore him and Vice President Joe Biden to grant Chief Red Cloud council and dialogue. My next burned sage offering before the Great Spirit will be for the people of the Black Hills.

Peace,

Ben Zoltak

Proof Of The Existence Of The Great Spirit

Ben Zoltak on HubPages